The once beautiful home owned by restaurateur Steve DiFillippo, of Davio’s fame, that burned overnight Saturday to Sunday morning is still smoldering as of early this morning. The wind is blowing fiercely out on the neck.
To read the full story, see today’s Gloucester Times.
Rockport Road to the right of Long Beach Dairy Maid is closed – no access in or out to Long Beach Motor Inn (call first). Several fire trucks and emergency personnel are engaged and working on a cold, windy night. Safe wishes for all involved.
*Driving into Rockport via Thatcher Road was still open.
This morning I arrived at 5am to check on the plovers and two young guys were building a fire right next to the Piping Plover sanctuary. I watched from a distance for a moment as they built up the fire, and then they crossed the beach to leave. I called the police to come put out the fire and asked the guys, hey what’s up with the bonfire? Their mysterious response was that they were coming back to add more wood. They left via the footbridge and a few seconds later, the police arrived to extinguish the fire.
Building a fire where children will shortly be running around in the sand is a really, really dumb idea. Not only that, but the PiPl family were super stressed, which is not usually the case during daybreak hours.
At about 5:30, two crows entered the sanctuary, eating garbage that had blown in. The parents were very distracted by the crows. At an opportune moment, when the chicks were on the opposite side of the crows and garbage, I ran into the roped off area and removed the enticing chicken remains, and chased away the crows. Crows and gulls are only on Good Harbor Beach in great numbers because of the garbage left behind. If there were no garbage, there would be no gulls and no crows.Pre dawn, and pre-arrival of the DPW, with lots of plastic littering the beach, which washes into the ocean each and every night.
Emergency Declaration-Closure of Woods
Effective immediately, the public woods within the City of Gloucester and the Norton Memorial Woods at the end of Revere Street are ordered closed until further notice due to dryness and danger of fires within the woodlands of our community.
In the Proximity of Reservoir Road.
Steve Saleeba From WBZ reports that it is a camping trailer on fire on Reservoir road.
Here’s a pic of that scary fire that happened yesterday near Hartz St. It was over and done in about 15 minutes, but the flames were almost 20′ high!