Rocky Neck Fire Report 12/13/13

The Gloucester fire department received a call reporting a building fire on Rocky Neck Ave. Upon arrival firefighters found a 2 story wood framed workshop fully charged with smoke. Crews vented the 2nd floor of heat and smoke by breaking out windows and it was found to be fully involved with fire. Firefighters stretched a hose line up the ladder well to the 2nd floor and quickly knocked down the main body of fire. Due to a significant amount of contents firefighting personnel remained on scene sifting through the workshop for hot spots to prevent against a rekindle. Crews from Headquarters and West Gloucester responded while the crew from Bay View covered the city. The workshop and it’s contents were destroyed by the fire and there was 1 minor injury reported as the frigid conditions turned the water from the firefighter’s hose lines almost immediately into ice and created very slippery conditions. One firefighter reported neck and shoulder pain from a slip and fall. The property is owner reported he was on the 2nd floor in the workshop when he noticed it filling with smoke. Upon his investigation he found smoke and fire coming from the 1st floor wall in the area of an operating wood stove. He stated that he attempted to extinguish the fire himself before calling the fire department but was unsuccessful. An investigation determined the fire was unintentional and originated on the first floor in the interior wall around the area where the wood stove vents to the exterior and was most likely caused by years of pyrolysis.Deputy Chief Stephen Aiello 12/14/13 Stephen M. Aiello, Deputy ChiefGloucester Fire Department8 School StreetGloucester, MA. 01930

Photos from Bill OConnor
image

image

image

About Joey C

The creator of goodmorninggloucester.org Lover of all things Gloucester and Cape Ann. GMG where we bring you the very best our town has to offer because we love to share all the great news and believe that by promoting others in our community everyone wins.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Rocky Neck Fire Report 12/13/13

  1. artmusedog says:

    Do hope everyone is safe and warm somewhere ~ don’t like fires ~ sad ~ lots of healing hugs to all involved ~

  2. It wasn’t Larry’s was it?

  3. Dave Moore says:

    Last thing you ever want to see is this! :-( Hopefully everyone got out and knowing Cape Ann folks will rally around to help out the right thing to do! :-)

Leaving a comment rewards the author of this post- add to the discussion here-

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s