Reggae Weekend ~ Mile Marker One Presents ~ Inner Visions ~ World Class Reggae Band from US Virgin Islands
Innervisions has been playing Castle Hill in Ipswich the last few years but the crowds became too large for them to handle so we’re hosting them over two nights at Cape Ann Marina Mile Marker One. Friday August 16th and Saturday August 17th On Friday the 16th we have an Opening act from Newburyport called Freevolt.
Doors are at 7pm. 15$ at the door. Cape Ann Marina 77 Essex Ave. Gloucester Ma Mile Marker One 978 283-2122
We also have Free Shows on our Bridge Deck All weekend with Jah N I on Friday 8/16 and The Glostafarians on Saturday 8/17 plus The Runaround Sunday 8/18 at 5pm.
1. When was Inner Visions formed? The band is dated back to when Phillip “Grasshopper” Pickering returned from the military in 1979 and joined “Prophecy” Reggae Band. Over the years the band saw a name change and has continued on since that time as Inner Visions.
2. What is the history of the band? Inner Visions has been the around since the golden days of reggae when the likes of Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff, Dennis Brown, Toots and the Maytals, Peter Tosh, Third World, Steel Pulse, Inner Circle, Aswad and so many other foundation Artists presented the world with a music that would not be denied. Because the Virgin Islands dominant music art form was Calypso and now is Soca music, (and the fact that St. John was so far removed from the limelight), it was not until 1995 that the band started getting some recognition when we released our first official recording. Since then the music has taken us through the Caribbean, to Cancun Mexico, Europe and all over the USA. We now boast six self produced recordings to our credit.
3. Who are the current members of the group? Current members are Alvin “Jupiter” Pickering (Bass/Background Vocals), Phillip “Grasshopper” Pickering (Guitars/Percussions/Lead Vocals), Akiba “Mr. Snooze” Pickering (Keyboards/ Lead and Background Vocals), and Aswad “Hollywood” aka “Black Lion” (Drums). Just incase you are wondering about those Pickering last names, “Jupiter” and “Grasshopper” are brothers and “Mr. Snooze” and “Black Lion” are the son’s of “Grasshopper!”
4. Who are your Musical influences? Wow, there are so many to mention! I think the group Culture for the energy, Third World for the message of love, Aswad for the party style grooves, Steel Pulse for the consciousness, Bob Marley for the universal strength, and many, many more!
5. What keeps you coming back to New England? The awesome love we feel from our fans many of which we have had the opportunity to greet on our Island home long before performing stateside.
6. What is your connection to Gloucester? Joe Loiacano (Manager at Mile Marker 1) had known of us as he had lived and managed a venue on St. John a few years back. We had played Gloucester before at the Rhumb Line, but after hearing about the crowds we were packing in at the Castle on Crane Beach’s Summer Concert Series, he decided to have us. It was such a great success last year, he up-scaled it for this year’s performance.
7. What is Island life like on St. John? It is a rewarding way of life as one might expect but the drawback is it is very expensive to live there. We boast some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and some of the most wonderful people but like everywhere these days things are tough all around. Still we would not trade it for the whole wide world!