Also known as Cape Ann Light Station, these twin lights are the only surviving multiple lights on the coasts of the United States. The original 45-foot towers were constructed and lit in 1789—making them among the oldest of America’s lighthouses. The stout 124 foot granite towers seen today replaced the original lights in 1861. The two towers were constructed so that when a ship sites on both towers, they point to true north—allowing sailors to check and adjust their compasses.
White light flashing five times at 20 second intervals.
Thacher Island is located about a mile offshore of Rockport. The island may be viewed from several locations in Rockport and from the Bass Rocks (Atlantic Road) in Gloucester. The Thacher Island Association provides boat service to the island for members of the Association. Kayaking is another popular way to visit the island.
For more history, click here