Please share this information with the public.
Rockport has decided institute an Outdoor Organized Activity Ban similar to Essex and Manchester.
A “Code Red” announcement will go out this afternoon to residents.
Information about the ban is available on the Board of Health website, and attached.
Outdoor Organized Activity Ban – EEE & Mosquitoes
Recently a horse in Essex was found to have a mosquito-borne disease, Eastern Equine Encephalitis. As a result, the Rockport Board of Health has decided to ban all outdoor organized activities in the Town of Rockport during peak mosquito hours (5 p.m. to 8 a.m.) effective immediately until the first hard frost.
EEE is a rare but serious illness, transmitted through the bite of a mosquito.
The Board of Health reminds all residents to continue to take the following precautions to avoid mosquito bites:
* make sure all window and door screens are in good repair
* remove all standing water from your property and encourage your neighbors to do the same
* use mosquito repellent, read and follow application instructions
* wear long-sleeved shirts and pants when outdoors, especially between dusk and dawn
* use mosquito netting on baby carriages
* avoid areas where there is obvious mosquito activity