Front Beach, Rockport, circa 1900
These folks are enjoying Front Beach in the latest beach attire. Observatory Point sits in the distance on the right. The Rockport fire house is on the left, with its hose drying tower. It wasn’t until after 1819 that water buckets were replaced by a great improvement in fire-fighting equipment – the cotton hose. After use, the hoses needed to dry, and this took place in a 50 to 60 foot tower. Often, a fire bell was hung in the top of the tower.