Tag Archives: Rockport Granite company

Gull Cove, Rockport, circa 1930

From the top of Granite Pier, we see a lot of going on at Gull Cove. Granite cobblestones, probably from nearby Flat Ledge Quarry, are ready to be loaded onto barges or schooners. Small gauge railroad cars sit on the other side of the cove, ready to haul granite from the quarry on the other side of the Keystone Bridge. Granite Street passes over the bridge, and past the Rockport Granite Company building, which is built with granite, of course!

From the top of Granite Pier, we see a lot of going on at Gull Cove. Granite cobblestones, probably from nearby Flat Ledge Quarry, are ready to be loaded onto barges or schooners. Small gauge railroad cars sit on the other side of the cove, ready to haul granite from the quarry on the other side of the Keystone Bridge. Granite Street passes over the bridge, and past the Rockport Granite Company building, which is built with granite, of course!

Rules and Regulations – No Loafing About the Sheds!

Cape Ann Granite Company Rules and Regulations, 1875

The Cape Ann Granite Company was organized in 1869 by Civil War veteran Colonel Jonas H. French. It was located near his summer home in Bay View (Gloucester, MA). Colonel French’s quarries supplied granite for the Boston and Baltimore post offices, the Brooklyn Bridge, and was one of the largest suppliers of paving block in the country. One of French’s claims to fame was cutting out a 122 feet long by 45 feet wide and 30 feet deep block of granite from Old Pit quarry in 1871. The original Cape Ann Granite Company was bought out by the Rockport Granite company in 1893. Remember: “No loafing about the sheds.”
Printed archivally from a scan of the original. Negative # ADP-011-001
Fred Bodin
Bodin Historic Photo
82 Main Street
Gloucester, MA 01930