Tag Archives: Restoration

MBBS #3 Lawley Tender Restoration

From the Maine Boat Builders Show      Elderly Lawley tender beautifully restored by Redd’s Pond Boatworks in Marblehead.

George Lawley & Son was established in Scituate in 1866, moving later to South Boston and then to Neponset in 1911.  By the time it closed in 1945 the company had built more than 1,100 yachts and 1,850 tenders along with military vessels .

http://www.reddspondboatworks.com/index.html

Al Bezanson

Lawley Restoration

Some Good Dam News: Mill Dam has Been Restored!

This weekend the Millbrook Meadow Committee has planned a fun ceremony to recognize and celebrate the restoration of Rockport’s landmark Mill Dam. This has been a long process and the Committee has done and continues to do a fantastic job of bringing one of Rockport’s most historically and culturally significant places back to life. Plan on coming this Saturday if you can, and if you can’t, please spread the word about the opening ceremony:

Dam Dedication program 05-25-13

 

Phyllis A Restoration Photos From Len Burgess

The 1925 ‘Phyllis A.’ is now high and dry at the start of it’s restoration process at the Gloucester Marine Railways.

–Len Burgess

The Phyllis A. Marine Association is in the process of the restoration of this gill-netting fishing ship and has received some funding from the citizens of Gloucester through the Community Preservation Act.

A brief history of the Phyllis A. from "The Wheel House", How it all started!

Albert Arnold, the man who had the vessel built, owned a boat before the Phyllis A. called the Anna T. Captains Albert, Cy Tysver, and Mike Shoares, all “Michigan Bears”, had her built in Essex in 1913. She was about the same size as the future Phyllis A. and also a gill-netter. In 1923, Albert loaned the Anna T. to a family friend. Unfortunately, she was lost on the bar off Wingersheek Beach in the Annisquam River. The pilot house of the Anna T. floated to shore and was dragged up next to “the frog rock” (rocks painted to look like frogs) and made a shed out of it. The Anna T.’s pilot house/shed is there still today, sitting just south of frog rocks.

The insurance company paid Albert $4500 for the wreck, which he used to commission the building of the Phyllis A. at the Warner Shipyard, in Kennebunkport, Maine. Phil Boudain joined the venture with his nets, and when the Phyllis A. came down the ways in 1925, they set off gillnetting together.

Fishing the Phyllis A. has always been a family affair. Son Alvin Arnold took over from Captain Albert and sons Kenneth and Robert crewed. Later on, the youngest son, Richard, took on the captain’s position. From the beginning, Mrs. Arnold kept the books and kept everyone moving. Young Phyllis Arnold, though not a crew member, was present with the family when the vessel was christened and named for her. Then 3, she cried when she broke the bottle of champagne on the bow and splashed on the beautiful new deck!

Phyllis A. Marine Association

Our mission is not only the promotion of the industry and preservation of the vessel, but to provide the historical education of the fishing industry for our children.

Last Spring, the Phyllis A. Marine Association offered an educational program to East Gloucester Elementary School. Capt. Richard Arnold has done programs for the students of Veteran’s Memorial School and was interested in offering that program to the students of East Gloucester School. The program consists of a short movie about the Phyllis A., a short lecture, Q&A, and display of artifacts. The program lasts about one hour and can be designed to fit the needs of the students and teachers. This pilot program is offered free of charge. We hope to expand to more schools this Spring.

Phyllis A. Marine Association
c/o 39 Mount Pleasant Avenue
Gloucester, Massachusetts 01930
info@phyllis-a.org

City Hall restoration work

As promised in the newspapers a few weeks ago, it looks like the scaffolding is just about complete and restoration work about to begin on our beautiful and historic City Hall in Gloucester. Here are some photos I took on Wednesday evening and Thursday morning.

It takes a special kind of person to be able to work on top of scaffolding like that.  My knees would be turning to jelly.  May the people up there stay safe, and may their work go smoothly!

Paint Factory – Salvaged Lumber for Restoration

Eanin Kerr sits on top of tons of wood he salvaged for the restoration project.

Enjoy the shortslide_shgow below.

More photos to come….

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Joseph Everett Chandler and The Restoration of The Sargent House Event Saturday Nov 6th

Judith Nast Writes In-

Hi Joey,
The Sargent House Museum would like to invite people to a lecture followed by refreshments and a tour of the museum tour this coming Saturday at  2pm at the Sawyer Library.  We’re delighted to have the wonderful author, Tim Orwig, talk about Joseph Chandler’s work in preserving the musuem in the early part of the 20th century.  Joseph Everett Chandler, preservationist and antiquarian, was a champion of Colonial Restoration, most often referred to as the Colonial Revival style. He believed architectural forms demonstrated values of their builders, and that a culture could not survive without preserving reminders of its origins and character.  After the lecture, we’ will walki over to the museum for refreshments and a tour.  You may have noticed that the Sargent House Museum is in the midst of an exterior restoration project.  Come see what it’s all about!  Get tickets online at
sargenthouse.org.
Thanks for your support and helping us get the word out!
Judith Nast

image

Sargent House Museum Restoration Under Way!

Sargent House Museum

Joe Nap

Joseph Napolitano
Replacing Sill

Work is underway on the restoration of the Museum’s exterior.
In this photo, general contractor Joseph Napolitano, of NAPCO, Inc., is replacing a sill on the building’s north side.  In the coming weeks, other carpentry repairs and structural work will be completed.
The building is prepped and primed and ready for a new coat of paint.
Partial funding for this project is provided by the Massachusetts Cultural Council through its Cultural Facilities Fund and the Tower Family Funds.
Donations welcome.  This is a big project!!

Sargent House Museum

49 Middle Street Gloucester, Massachusetts 01930

978-281-2432