Backyard Growers has a series of big announcements!
1) Backyard Growers has been selected as the Massachusetts finalist for the Tom’s of Maine “50 States for Good” community giving program for a chance to win $10,000 to support school gardens in Gloucester. Please vote for Backyard Growers at 50StatesforGood.com once a day until October 15! Thanks!
2) In the next two weeks over 1,300 Gloucester elementary school children will harvest fall vegetables from school gardens that they planted back in June. Thank you to the parent-led school garden teams, teachers, principals, food service staff, and of course, kids, who have made it all happen!
3) The application period for the 2014 Backyard Growers season is open! Low- to moderate-income Gloucester residents are encouraged to apply for a limited number of spots. For more information and to download an application go to www.capeannfarmersmarket.org/backyard-growers. Applications are due by Friday, October 11.
4) NEW! Want a garden, but are not income eligible for our program? Participate in our “Get a Garden/Give a Garden” program. When you purchase a garden through Backyard Growers you are also making it possible for a low-income Gloucester family to receive a garden and grow some of their own food. Contact Lara at 978-317-8025 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
5) Welcome Anna! A warm welcome to Anna Swanson, our FoodCorps Service Member who will be serving with Backyard Growers for the year to support our backyard and schoolyard garden initiatives!
Cevicos Medical Mission Needs Our Help!
Missionaries from Holy Family Parish of Cape Ann will be traveling to Cevicos in the Dominican Republic.
Items that are needed for their trip include:
Selsun shampoo ,Baby wipes, Baby lotion (small bottles), Saline nasal spray, Hand sanitizer, Band-aids, Tooth brushes for children & adults, Toothpaste (small tubes), new toys, Clean and gently used clothing for children of all ages. New clothing also welcome., Latex free gloves
If you have items that you would like to donate, please bring them to the Fisher Lobby at
Addison Gilbert Hospital.
A container for these items will be available until October 23.
Thank you for your consideration in helping!