Snowy Owl Photo Taken In Morning- Dead By Afternoon

Christine Morey submits-

Good afternoon Joey –

I took this photo yesterday in Rockport – Magnificent creature!

By this morning, he had died in the same place – just tragic! 

The Animal Control Officer who came to collect him said often owls ingest rodents that have

been poisoned – please ask your readers to re-think using poison-

Thank you!

12013 027

About Joey C

The creator of goodmorninggloucester.org Lover of all things Gloucester and Cape Ann. GMG where we bring you the very best our town has to offer because we love to share all the great news and believe that by promoting others in our community everyone wins.
This entry was posted in Community Photos and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Snowy Owl Photo Taken In Morning- Dead By Afternoon

  1. Sista Felicia says:

    Oh no…. :0( so sad

  2. Susan larosa says:

    I would never put poison out. Beautiful animal. It is sad. Probably not too many around.

  3. Terry says:

    OH that is horrible. The Snowy Whites are such beautiful creatures. I’ve never heard of anyone even seeing one in Rockport. So sorry that happened.

  4. What a noble bird! OWL meant to my mother: Only With Love who loved these birds.
    Quiet wings have folded,
    Spirit memories enlarge
    While silent feathers
    Heaven bound
    Reach for beauty unfettered.
    RIP Snowy one, the eternal wise eye prevails.

  5. E.J. says:

    Such a beautiful bird and so sad. Nice that you were able to capture and share him before he died.

  6. Cheryl says:

    So beautiful and so sad.

  7. Anonymous says:

    I had the same experience last year with a Screech Owl. I don’t think people realize that they are not safe even if they use the poisen within their homes. The rodents ingest the poisen, go outside looking for water and are then eaten by Owls (also by neighborhood cats). :(

  8. Such a beautiful bird, we never use poison either, there are other products that dod not cause such sadness

  9. Vicki says:

    That is so tragic! I never thought about the rat poison connection.

  10. Jodi Swenson says:

    Using poison even inside your house is dangerous to there animals
    Mice go outside and are dying and slow, easy meal for birds of prey and other wild and domestic animals
    This guys body is going to go to norm smith who does the snowy owl studies
    I could not find a single thing wrong with him, he wasnt skinny, no injuries
    Poison makes sense, hopefully norm will let me know what he find during necropsy
    Jodi Swenson
    Cape Ann wildlife, inc
    Formerly cape Ann wild bird rescue

  11. william bradford says:

    That’s life at times, pretty wonderful, pretty short. I live downtown. This Summer I left my apartment for a Saturday bike ride, and found an amazing looking woodpecker, huge, laying on the sidewalk, amazing looking bird, reminds me of the snow owl. live everyday like it’s the last.

  12. Bob says:

    Maybe we will never know what killed the beautiful owl. But it is worth knowing that birds are prone to various infections that can kill them in a matter of hours. On several occasions I’ve seen birds in places you don’t usually find them. They look OK but they don’t fly away. And then they are dead. This includes birds that don’t eat mice, too. But yes, it is sad.

Leaving a comment rewards the author of this post- add to the discussion here-

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s