Annisquam Light, circa 1890 Charles E. Dennison/©Fredrik D, Bodin
The first Annisquam Lighthouse was built in 1801 on Wigwam Point, where the Annisqaum River meets Ipswich Bay. It was replaced in 1851 by the lighthouse in this photograph. The forty one foot high wooden tower was octagonal. The keeper’s house, to the right of the light, also built in 1801, had a covered walkway connecting it to the lighthouse. Cows grazed the lighthouse grounds, and wandered along the beach at low tide. The present Annisquam Light was erected in 1897, and is made of brick. The light was automated in 1974, and the keeper’s house is currently used by Coast Guard families.