Attachment is my painting of the Alice S. Wentworth for posting on GMG. This is an Acrylic, Pen & Ink on 16X20 stretched canvas. It is one of a series of paintings I am doing on historical coasting schooners. She was built in Norwalk, CT. in 1863. Bought by Capt. Arthur A. Stevens in early 1900s. Completely rebuilt by Stevens and re-documented in 1905 as the A.S.Wentworth.
Regarded as one of the fastest coasting schooners on the coast, she hauled general cargos including lumber, coal, gypsom, salt and merchandise to ports from New York to the canadian maritimes. She often loaded salt directly from the big salt steamers that called atGloucester to fish processors along the coast of Maine.
My painting depicts the Wentworth passing Thatchers I. and setting a course into the Gulf of Maine. Loaded with salt in Gloucester and bound for Boothbay and other down east ports she has just come about and sprung her main and foresail wing-and-wing with the a dry sou’easter pushing her along.
I like to paint historic sailing ships doing what they were built to do. I’ve just started a painting of the just re-built 130′ Sch Western Union of Key West, Florida. She was built as a coaster in 1936 for and sailed as a Marine cable repair ship for Western Union Telegraph Company for 35 years. She has just undergone a $1.24 million restoration and will operate out of Key West as a tour ship.
I’m currently looking for old photos of the Lanesvill and Rockport granite sloops and schooners as subject for another painting. There are plenty of photos of Maine coasters and granits ships, but scant few of the Cape Ann boats.
Thanks for posting this picture, Joe, and a big thanks for Good Morning Cloucester .com – a great way for me to keep in touch with the Cape Ann scene.
Search GMG Here
GMG Wins CBS Boston Most Valuable Blogger
2013 North Shore Magazine Readers Choice- Best Blog
GMG-North Shore Magazine Readers’ Choice & Editors’ Choice Award Winners
SubscribingIf you enjoy my little daily blog of life on the dock, feel free to subscribe. Its the best way to keep updated of fresh new posts.
Subscribe to GoodMorningGloucester by Email By Clicking Here Free
If you find any of the posts entertaining I really appreciate feedback in the comments section under each post.
We update every hour on the hour from early morning til night. Check Back Often!
Thanks for visiting -Joey
GMG Facebook Page
- @SistaFelicia: Boxwoods Up In the Hizzy Y'all! wp.me/pa6CS-Qnf @llograsso @MayorKirk @ShereeZizik @DeeNoble #GloucesterMaJoey_C's Twitter Feed 1 hour ago
- Middle Street Walk Schedule wp.me/pa6CS-Qlx @SawyerLibrary @theHIVECenter @CapeAnnArtHaven @SargentHouseMus via @kidns #GloucesterMAJoey_C's Twitter Feed 4 hours ago
- RT @GlostaGourmet: All I can say "One of the Most Memorable" after attending maiden cruise Beauport Princess Jazz Brunch #gloucesterma http…Joey_C's Twitter Feed 4 hours ago
- Mark Your Calendars Dec 13th At Bodin Historic Photo GMG Holiday Party!! wp.me/pa6CS-PIR @CapeAnnGiclee @kimsmithdesigns @EJLefavourJoey_C's Twitter Feed 4 hours ago
- #GloucesterMA is out! paper.li/Joey_C/1332671…Joey_C's Twitter Feed 5 hours ago
The GloucesterCast Podcast
Free GMG Gloucester Sticker
As long as supplies last if any GMG folks want a bumper sticker but can't drop down the dock, just send a self addressed and stamped envelope longer then 7 and a half inches and I'll drop one in the mail for you.
Send the self addressed and stamped envelope to the dock at 95 East Main St Gloucester Ma 01930 care of Joey (put my name in big letters to make sure it gets to me)
Click For The GMG Theme Song Gloucester Til The End!
click here for categories
- It’s worth getting up by 9am on Sunday to catch “Curtain Up” on 104.9
- Allen Estes ~ Marina Evans ~ David Brown @ The Dog Bar, Sat. Dec. 7th, 9pm Do not miss this…
- Look at what’s coming for live music. By M.E. Productions and it’s so close to home!
- Christmas by the Sea, presented by The Cape Ann Chamber of Commerce’s Manchester Division, kicks off this evening in downtown Manchester. There’s something for everyone as the town rings in the holiday season.
Click Pic For GMG Local Music Schedule
The GMG Video Podcast
Click Here For The Archives
- Updated With Up Close Photos!!! Holy Canoli Batman!!! Anyone Know What Kind Of Stealthy Boats Were Zipping Around Yesterday?
- FEMA flood map video From Kenny Mac
- The Awesome Foundation Comes to Gloucester
- Live from Beauport Princess
- How much do you tip on a $14.89 pizza delivery
- Chef Matt Beach’s Sublime Dinner
- Boxwoods Up In the Hizzy Y'all!
- WWII Begins
- Happy- John Lennon
GMG Tree ProjectDonation Total for GMG Tree Project $461
Tree and Consultation Work By Doug Cook Landesign.biz
Labor help from Aaron Burke
Labor and Equipment From Grimes Landscaping
Labor and Equipment from Jay Ramsey and Farm Creek Landscaping
Plant Materials From Corliss Wholesale
Thanks for Everyone's Contributions. We Did It Together!
Click For Common GMG Topics2010 2011 2012 2013 Allen Estes Art Art Haven Beautiful Industry Beth Swan Block Party Cape Ann Cape Ann Animal Aid Cape Ann Community Cinema Captain Joe's Captain Joe and Sons Chickity check it! City Hall Concerts in Gloucester David B. Cox David Cox Donna Ardizzoni Downtown Gloucester Eats Ed Collard Eloise Essex Events in Gloucester Family Fiesta Fred Bodin gimmesound.com gloucester Gloucester at Dawn Gloucester Harbor Gloucester Ma Gloucester Music Gloucester Sticker GMG GMG Flickr Group GMG Sticker Good eggs Good Harbor Beach Good Morning Gloucester GoodMorningGloucester Greasy Pole Greg Bover Joey Ciaramitaro Kathy Chapman live music lobster Lobster Boat Madeline Marine Construction Music in Gloucester Passports Paul Frontiero Photography photos Rockport Rocky Neck Rubber Duck Saint Peter's Fiesta Schooner Seagull Sharon Lowe Sista Felicia Slide Show Snoop Maddie Mad St Peter's Fiesta The Bean Things to do Thom Falzarano photography Video What Up Homie? Working Boat
Subscribe Here if you would like
Mon, 9 Dec 2013 - 9:30pm
at The Rhumb Line - 40 Railroad Ave, Gloucester, MA - Phone: 978-283-9732
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 - 5:00pm
with Kate Barry, Zach Gorrell & Steve Lacey at Cape Ann Brewery - 11 Rogers St., Gloucester, MA 01930 - Phone: (978) 282-7399
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 - 7:00pm
at Jalapenos Restaurant - 86 Main Street, Gloucester, MA 01930 - Phone: 978-283-8228
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 - 9:30pm
HENLEY DOUGLAS JR
Funk Jamm and Soul Force V at The Rhumb Line - 40 Railroad Ave, Gloucester, MA - Phone: 978-283-9732
Wed, 11 Dec 2013 - 8:00pm
dinner w/ Fly and a special guest Dan King - John Lennon Tribute at The Rhumb Line - 40 Railroad Ave, Gloucester, MA - Phone: 978-283-9732
Wed, 11 Dec 2013 - 9:00pm
Joe Wilkins w/ Dennis Monagle and Joe Cardoza - Monagle Sessions at Minglewood Tavern - 25 Rogers Street, Gloucester, MA 01930 - Phone: 978-281-0223
Wed, 11 Dec 2013 - 9:00pm
at Dog Bar - 65 Main Street, Gloucester, MA 01930 - Phone: 978-281-6565
Thu, 12 Dec 2013 - 7:00pm
SINGER SONGWRITER SHUFFLE
Nick COnsone, Patrick Nelson, Alex Chabot, Brian O'Connor, Alex Prezzano, Sean Coleman, Paul Mc at Giuseppe's Ristorante and Piano Bar - 2 Main Street, Gloucester, MA 01930 - Phone: 978-879-4622
Thu, 12 Dec 2013 - 8:00pm
With Dave Saginario at The Rhumb Line - 40 Railroad Ave, Gloucester, MA - Phone: 978-283-9732
Thu, 12 Dec 2013 - 8:30pm
DAVE SAG'S BLUES PARTY
with special guest Dennis Brennan and Matt Stubbs at The Rhumb Line - 40 Railroad Ave, Gloucester, MA - Phone: 978-283-9732
- Mon, 9 Dec 2013 - 9:30pm OPEN JAM