I bought this desk last weekend. I don’t have much information on it, but here are several photos that might give someone enough to identify the style, period, wood, etc. I talked to David Cox and Dick Davis at Dave’s antique shop downtown and got some possible info.
Click on any photo and if you click on “all sizes”, you’ll get a much closer view.
- The hardware is NOT brass.
- The wood is probably mahogany.
- It may have been built in the early 1900′s.
- It looks like it is Governor Winthrop style.
- It is signed on a piece of paper on the back.
I’d love to find out more about this and how to proceed with the refinishing. Most of it is down to the bare wood, but there has been some repair done with filler near the top and the cubbies inside need to be sanded. I’d like to do this myself, but I’m not sure how. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance! —–Sharon